Peruvian Slow-Cooked Beef with Herbs
- ¾ cup white vinegar
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- 3 fresh mirasol or other hot chilis, seeded and minced
- 4 tbsp vegetable oil
- 4 lb boneless chuck or round steak, cut in large chunks
- 4 medium yellow onions, peeled and quartered
- 1 bunch fresh mint
- 1 bunch fresh thyme
- 1 bunch fresh rosemary
- 1 bunch fresh oregano
- 1 bunch fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro
- 6 sweet potatoes
- Place vinegar, cumin, minced chiles, and oil in a blender.
- Add ½ cup water and purée.
- Season with salt.
- Place meat in large bowl.
- Add vinegar mixture and mix thoroughly.
- Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Place onions in a single layer in a large dutch oven.
- Scatter mint, thyme, rosemary, oregano, parsley, and cilantro on top, then add meat with marinade and whole chile.
- Cover and cook in oven, stirring occasionally, until meat is tender and marinade and meat juices have combined to form an herb-perfumed broth, 2–3 hours.
- Meanwhile, peel potatoes and place in a second large dutch oven.
- Season with salt, cover, and bake until tender, about 1 hour.
- Remove huatia and potatoes from oven.
- Season to taste with salt.