- Melt the butter to just coat the bottom of the pan.
- Sprinkle a fine layer of grated cheese
- Cook over medium heat until it has melted and formed a light crust, about 3 to 4 minutes.
- Continue to cook the cheese until the edges set and a golden crust develops, about ½ minute.
- Carefully lift and turn the layer of cheese with a spatula and cook until lightly golden on the second side, about ½ minute.
- Remove the frico from the pan and either set it flat on a paper towel, shape it over an inverted custard cup.