Spicier Grilled Beef Heart
- 8 garlic cloves, pressed
- 2 chiles, rocoto, stemmed, seeded, minced
- 2 tbsp cumin, ground
- ½ tbsp oregano, dried
- salt, to taste
- pepper, black, to taste
- 2 cup red wine vinegar
- Clean the beef heart thoroughly, removing all nerves and fat.
- Cut into 1" cubes, place in non-reactive bowl, refrigerate and set aside.
- Combine garlic, chiles, cumin, oregano, salt and pepper and 1½ cups vinegar.
- Pour over meat.
- Add more vinegar, if necessary, to cover meat completely.
- Marinate, refrigerated, 12-24 hours.
- About 1 hour before grilling, remove meat from marinade and thread on skewers.
- Soak the crushed chile in ⅓ cup warm water for 30 minutes.
- In processor, combine chiles and water with oil and salt.
- Add enough reserved marinade (¾ cup) to make thick sauce, puree.
- Brush skewered meat with sauce and grill over hot coals or under a broiler, turning and basting to cook quickly on all sides.
- Best cooked medium well, 4-6 minutes on the grill.